SLS Material Information
SLS produces plastic parts using a laser to sinter thin layers of powdered material one layer at a time. The process begins by spreading an initial layer of powder over the build platform. The cross-section of the part is scanned and sintered by the laser; solidifying it. The build platform then drops down one layer thickness (typically 100µm) and a new layer of powder is applied. The process repeats until a part is produced. The result of this process is a component completely encased in unsintered powder. The part is removed from the powder, cleaned, inspected and then it is ready for use or further post-processing. SLS is often used to in place of injection moulding and machining to produce functional parts in small production runs.
Unlike other additive technologies, the SLS process does not require support structures which allows for numerous parts to be beside, above or even within other parts in a process called nesting. This also allows for highly complex geometry that simply could not be constructed any other way. This is the main reason why SLS is the fastest and most economical process for large quantities.
The default surface properties of an SLS part is a somewhat rough (≈35µm roughness value) hydroscopic surface the colour of the base powder; typically white. The SLS parts can be dyed, painted, sealed/coated and over molded. The surface can also be mechanical and/or chemically treated to improve the roughness and reduce the porosity. SLS parts are well suited for machining which provides the accuracy and surface finish of a CNC with the complexity and lead time of additive manufacturing.
PA 2200 - Polyamide White
The white powder PA 2200 on the basis of polyamide 12 serves a wide variety of applications with its very well-balanced property profile.
- Multipurpose material
- Balanced property profile
- High strength and stiffness
- Good chemical resistance
- Excellent long-term constant behaviour
- High selectivity and detail resolution
- Various finishing possibilities (e.g. metallisation, stove enamelling, vibratory grinding, tub colouring, bonding, powder coating, flocking)
- Bio compatible according to EN ISO 10993-1 and USP/level VI/121 °C
- Approved for food contact in compliance with the EU Plastics Directive 2002/72/EC (exception: high alcoholic foodstuff)
- Functional parts
- Medical applications, e.g. prostheses
- Fully functional plastic parts of highest quality
- Substitute typical injection moulding plastics
- Realisation of movable part connections
PA 3200 GF - Glass Bead Filled Polyamide
PA 3200 GF is a white, glass bead filled polyamide 12 powder, which is characterised by an excellent stiffness in combination with good elongation at break.
- High stiffness
- Wear resistance
- Improved temperature performance
- Good thermal loadability
- Excellent surface quality
- High dimensional accuracy and detail resolution
- Good processability
- Stiff housings
- Parts with requirements on wear and abrasion
- Parts used under elevated thermal conditions
- Usage e.g. for final parts within the engine area of cars
- Deep-drawing dies
- Any other application which requires particular stiffness, high heat distortion temperature and low abrasive wear
Alumide® - Polyamide Aluminium-filled
Alumide is a metallic grey, aluminium-filled polyamide 12 powder, which is characterised by its high stiffness, metallic appearance and good postprocessing possibilities. The surfaces of Alumide parts can be refined very easily by grinding, polishing or coating. The machining of Alumide laser-sintered parts is simplified through the cut breaking effect of the aluminium filling.
- Easy post-processing, good machinability
- High temperature performance
- Thermal conductivity (limited)
- High stiffness
- Well-balanced ratio of density and stiffness
- Excellent dimensional accuracy
- Applications with metal-like look
- Parts which need machining
- Parts with thermal loads
- Manufacture of stiff parts of metallic appearance for applications in automotive manufacture (e.g. wind tunnel tests or parts that are not safety-relevant)
- Tool inserts for injecting and moulding small production runs
- Illustrative models (metallic appearance)
- Setting jig and device manufacture
PA 2210 FR - Flame-retarding Polyamide
PA 2210 FR is a white polyamide 12 powder with a halogen free, chemical flame retardant. In case of fire a carbonating coating arises on the surface of the part, isolating the plastic below. PA 2210 FR fulfils the flame protection classification UL 94 / V-0 from a wall thickness higher than or equal to 2 mm.
- Flame retardancy
- Good mechanical properties
- Excellent long-term constant behaviour
- Electric & electronics
- Fully functional, load-bearing plastic parts of highest quality
- Parts with increased requirements on flame protection
PA 860 - Nylon 11
White PA 11 that is formulated for easy processing across all LS platforms.
Tightly controlled particle distribution creates a smooth surface finish and excellent feature detail.
Parts produced from PA 860 exhibit outstanding mechanical properties without the need to double scan.
Smooth surface finish with small feature resolution
Parts exhibits excellent mechanical properties
Cleated footwear devices
Highly functional end use parts
Automotive housing enclosures and connectors
Ideal for applications requiring vigiourous functionality and testing
SLA MATERIAL INFORMATION
Somos® NeXt is an extremely durable stereolithography (SL) resin that produces very accurate parts with high feature detail.
Somos® WaterShed XC 11122
DSM’s Somos® WaterShed XC 11122 is a low viscosity liquid photopolymer that produces strong, tough, water-resistant, ABS-like parts.
Somos® EvoLVe 128
Somos® EvoLVe 128 is a durable stereolithography material that produces accurate, high-detailed parts and has been designed for easy finishing.
FUSED DEPOSITION MODELING MATERIAL INFORMATION
ABS-M30 is up to 25-70 percent stronger than standard Stratasys ABS and is an ideal material for conceptual modeling, functional prototyping, manufacturing tools, and end-use-parts.
MarkForged’s Onyx is a material that is ideal for customer-facing parts that need to look good while standing up to industrial requirements.
POLYJET MATERIAL INFORMATION
Vero & Tango
Vero Product Information
The Vero family of 3D printing materials includes:
Tango Product Information
The Tango family of 3D printing materials includes:
• TangoBlack ‘Rubber-like’
DMLS MATERIAL INFORMATION
AlSi10Mg is a typical casting alloy with good casting properties and is used for cast parts with thin walls and complex geometry. The alloying elements silicon and magnesium lead to high strength and hardness. The alloy also features good dynamic properties and is therefore used for parts subject to high loads. Parts in EOS Aluminium AlSi10Mg are ideal for applications which require a combination of good thermal properties and low weight, e.g. for motor sport.
- Direct manufacture of functional prototypes
- Small production runs
- User-specific products or spare parts
- Motor racing
- Prototype parts for aluminium die casting
Stainless Steel SS316L-0407
316L-0407 alloy is an austenitic stainless steel which comprises iron alloyed with chromium of mass fraction up to 18%, nickel up to 14% and molybdenum up to 3%, along with other minor elements. The alloy is an extra-low carbon variation on the standard 316L alloy. Due to its low carbon content, 316L-0407 is resistant to sensitisation (carbide precipitation at grain boundaries) and displays good welding characteristics. It also has low stress to rupture and tensile strength at high temperatures.
- High hardness and toughness
- High corrosion resistance
- High machine-ability
- Can be highly polished
- Plastic injection and pressure die-casting moulds extrusion dies
- Surgical tools
- Cutlery and kitchenware
- Maritime components
- Spindles and screws
- General engineering
EOS MaragingSteel MS1
EOS MaragingSteel MS1 is a martensite-hardenable steel. Its chemical composition corresponds to US classification 18% Ni Maraging 300, European 1.2709 and German X3NiCoMoTi 18-9-5. This kind of steel is characterized by having excellent strength combined with high toughness. The parts are easily machinable after the building process and can be easily post-hardened to more then 50 HRC. They also have excellent polishability.
- Easily machinable
- Age hardenable up to approx. 54 HRC
- Good thermal conductivity
- Series injection moulding, also for high volume production
- Other tooling applications, e.g. aluminium die casting
- High performance parts, e.g. for aerospace applications
EOS StainlessSteel GP1
EOS StainlessSteel GP1 is a stainless steel. Its chemical composition corresponds to US clas-sification 17-4, European 1.4542 and German X5CrNiCuNb16-4. This kind of steel is characterized by having good mechanical properties, especially excellent ductility in laser processed state, and is widely used in a variety of engineering applications. This material is ideal for many part-building applications (DirectPart) such as functional metal prototypes, small series products, individualised products or spare parts.
- Good mechanical properties
- Excellent ductility
- Engineering applications including functional prototypes
- Small series products
- Individualised products or spare parts
- Parts requiring particularly high toughness and ductility