Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) Process
Metal parts of the most complex geometries are built layer-by-layer (down to 20 microns) directly from 3D CAD data, without tooling.
The parts have excellent mechanical properties, high detail resolution and exceptional surface quality. The process melts the metal powder entirely, creating a fine, homogenous structure.
DMLS enables the formation of cavities and undercuts which, with conventional methods, can only be produced with great difficulty. In addition, when a part needs to be tested and re-designed over and over, the lead time for receiving a traditionally tooled part can create a large bottleneck in the final production process.
Different styles of finish.
Micro Peen Finish
The micro peen process offers a rougher matte-like finish.
The high polish process offers a smoother mirror-like finish.
- Freedom of design, such as complex internal features
- Part to part customization – no tooling
- Components can be produced in variable thickness
- Fully dense, high performance materials
- Ideal for prototypes and low volume production
- Very efficient material processing – only part mass of material is used and rest is recycled
- Height of build dictates price – more components per build reduces unit cost
- Minimum wall thickness 0.2mm*
- Typical lead times 1 .5– 2 weeks depends on material and quantity
- Typical surface finish 4.5Ra before any machining or polishing
* Subject to geometry and build orientation.
To find out more about the Direct Metal Laser Sintering process, please download the data sheets.